Xiaomi has a new phone for those who are looking for a replacement for the Samsung Galaxy Note 7.
Sporting a design that, like the Note 7, is curved on both front and back, the new 5.7-inch Mi Note 2 also offers a 23-megapixel camera, 6GB of RAM and 128GB of onboard storage. Xiaomi has been pushing its Mi Pay mobile payment system lately, so the Mi Note 2 will come with NFC.
The phablet is similar to the Mi 5S Plus, which launched last month. Both phones have a 5.7-inch full-HD display and are powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor, though the Mi Note 2’s display uses OLED technology to curve the screen on the front. It has the curved back of the first Mi Note too.
Powered by Android, the Mi Note 2 runs Xiaomi’s custom MIUI 8 skin. Like most skins out of China, it lacks an app drawer, but has some nifty features. You can turn on the flash light by holding the home button without unlocking the phone, for instance, and you can use a second finger to swipe through home screens while holding down on an app to move it.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 821, 2.35GHz
- 6GB RAM, 128GB onboard storage
- 4,070 mAh battery with Quick Charge
- 23-megapixel rear camera
- Comes in black and silver
The fingerprint smudges aren’t as bad on the silver version, which is definitely the better looking sibling. And while Apple has chosen to do away with the headphone jack, the Mi Note 2 still has one, as well as an infrared sensor — great if you like to use your phone as a remote control for your TV or aircon.
While there’s a version of the Mi Note 2 that will have LTE support for the US and lots of other countries, the bad news is that the phone will be China-only, and Xiaomi has no plans to sell this elsewhere, even in places like Singapore or Hong Kong. It’s a surprising move, but perhaps Xiaomi is looking inwards to its homeground as it aims to regain market share, having slipped to fourth position as rivals Oppo and Vivo have surged ahead.
Recommendation： Manage iPhone/iPad/iPod without using iTunes
- Support to transfer, edit, backup, manage, view iOS & Android mobile data: Music, videos, photos, apps, ebooks, contacts, messages and more.
- Download videos from 100+ video sharing sites up to 4K HD video quality and transfer to iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android.
- Massive free resources: videos, wallpapers, ringtones
- Handy toolkit: Audio converter, video converter, ringtone maker, etc.