The Galaxy Note 8 will be Samsung’s large-screen phone aimed at power users, and it’s going to be big.
By “big,” I don’t just mean its size, though I’m guessing it’ll have about the same dimensions as the Galaxy S8 Plus with its 6.2-inch screen. I mean that it’ll be more important than any other Note phone ever made, for three main reasons. (By the way, we know that the Note 8 is a sure thing because Samsung mobile chief DJ Koh told CNET so.) It will:
1. Be the first Note model released after Samsung recalled 3 million Note 7 units due to battery fires. In that sense, it’ll be the real test of the Note line’s recovery even more so than the so far incident-free Galaxy S8.
2. Give Samsung the chance to fix the S8’s biggest problem, the awkward placement of the fingerprint reader to the right of the camera lens.
That could now go on the center back (like on the Google Pixel, LG G6 and Huawei P10) or — if Samsung really gets its tech together — under the glass. It could also jump on the dual-camera trend that the S8 passed up.
3. Battle Apple’s 10th anniversary iPhone, possibly called the iPhone 8, which we expect to arrive in September. Apple is expected to pull out all the stops for this one, so the competition could be fiercer than usual.
I also expect this next Note to give its digital stylus, which Samsung calls the S Pen, more tricks than last year’s short-lived Note 7.
- What we ‘know’ about the Note 8: It will use Samsung’s new eight-point battery test
- The Bixby AI assistant will work straight out of the box
- It’ll arrive in August or September
- It’ll cost a lot
- Top rumors
- How about a 6.4-inch screen?
- Make that screen pressure-sensitive
- It could have two rear cameras
- The S Pen could have a built-in speaker
Recommendation： Manage iPhone/iPad/iPod without using iTunes
- Support to transfer, edit, backup, manage, view iOS & Android mobile data: Music, videos, photos, apps, ebooks, contacts, messages and more.
- Download videos from 100+ video sharing sites up to 4K HD video quality and transfer to iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android.
- Handy toolkit: Audio converter, video converter, ringtone maker, etc.