For folks who have chosen not to upgrade to iOS 7 but are stuck on iOS 6.1.3/4/5, untethered jailbreak was not an option until now. The team involving @iH8snow, @winocm and others has released an untethered jailbreak tool for non-A7 iDevices running iOS 6.1.3/4/5.
Here’s more on the new untethered jailbreak, compatibility and how to jailbreak your iDevice using the p0sixspwn.
p0sixspwn supports the following devices running iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4/6.1.5:
- iPod touch 4G
- iPod touch 5
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad mini 1
How to Untethered Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3, 6.1.4 & 6.1.5 on iDevice
1. Download the latest version of p0sixspwn for Mac ( or Windows) p0sixspwn .com and extract p0sixspwn . You may need to run p0sixspwn as an administrator on Windows. (Note that some users seem to report download errors while usingSafari. If that’s the case, use Chrome to download the zip file).
2. Connect your device to the computer through the USB port, and launch the application. After a few seconds your device will be detected with it’s matching firmware.
3. With your device plugged in and hit the ‘Jailbreak’ button to begin. If you have not yet disabled your passcode on your device it is advised to do so. Head to Settings > General > Passcode to disable it.
4. p0sixspwn will begin retrieving information from the device to generate jailbreak data. This may take a few minutes.
5. Afterwards the program will change to “Sending intital data” and your device will say “Restore in Progress”. This will also take a few minutes. This is normal.
6. The device will reboot, an Apple logo with a loading bar will appear for a brief moment and will continue rebooting.
7. p0sixspwn will proceed to “remounting root”, “Sending Cydia packages and untether payload to the device” the device will reboot afterwards.
8. You’re done! Your iOS device is running iOS 6 and is now jailbroken with an untethered jailbreak!
iOS 6.1.3-6.1.5 have remained ouside the purview of untethered jailbreak for quite a long time. Evad3rs was busy with iOS 7 releasing a jailbreak last week.
If you wish to restore only to iOS 6.1.3-5, you’ll need an older iTunes as the new update prevents you from restoring to custom firmwares that are older than the latest (iOS 7).
1. What is the purpose of jailbreaking? Jailbreaking allows you to install third-party applications, tweaks, mods, themes, useful utilities, and other content (called “packages”) from Cydia, the jailbreak equivalent of theApp Store on iOS. Jailbreaking essentially allows for you to further customize and enhance your iOS device beyond the limits that Apple imposes.
2. What is the legal status of jailbreaking? Jailbreaking is officially declared as legal in the United States, based on an exemption made to the U.S. Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) allowing for modifications of this nature. Nevertheless, by jailbreaking your iOS device you are violating the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) with Apple, which means that your device’s warranty will be void. By restoring your device back to factory default settings using iTunes, however, all traces of jailbreaking will be removed and your warranty will essentially be valid again.
3. Do I need to be running a freshly installed version of iOS 6 to jailbreak? Will my content be erased? You do not need to be running a newly installed copy of iOS 6, but it is recommended. Your device’s media and settings will not be affected or removed by the jailbreaking process. Backing up your content to iTunes or iCloud, however, is still recommended as a precautionary measure.
4. What’s the difference between an untethered, tethered and semi-tethered jailbreak?
Tethered Jailbreak: A Tethered Jailbreak needs to be plugged into your PC or Mac over USB, and you typically need to re-run your Jailbreak utility — like redsn0w — and choose the “boot tethered” option to restart your device. You will not lose any data.
Untethered Jailbreak: An Untethered Jailbreak can be rebooted any time, anywhere, without having to connect to your PC. It works just like a non-Jailbroken device.
Semi-Tethered Jailbreak: A semi-tethered jailbreak allows you to start your iDevice without plugging it into your computer, however you will not be able to use your jailbroken addons until you boot from your computer using the jailbreak program.
- Disadvantages & Benefits of Jailbreaking iOS
- How to recover lost data on jailbroken iPhone 6/6s
- How to jailbreak iPhone 6/6s on iOS 9