WhatsApp is one of the most popular communication tools on the planet. But if you get a new phone and transfer your WhatsApp account to it, your old messages don’t automatically come with you. Thankfully we’re here to help. This tutorial explains how to transfer WhatsApp conversations to a new device, so you can pick up your chats where you left off.
Newer versions of WhatsApp include automatic Google Drive backups, which makes the process of transferring your WhatsApp chat history between phones even easier than before.
- You simply tap the trio of dots at the top left of the screen and go to Settings > Chats and calls > Chat backup.
- From here, you can back up manually, or set it to automatically back up as regularly as you like. When WhatsApp is reinstalled, it will prompt you to recover your chats and multimedia from Google Drive.
Manually backup and restore
If you’ve yet to receive the Google Drive WhatsApp update, it’s still reasonably easy to create a backup and move it to your new phone. Simply proceed as follows:
- Open the Settings menu of WhatsApp, tap on Chats and calls and then tap Chat backup.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC via USB cable, and navigate to the internal memory of the device to the folder WhatsApp / Database. This is where all the backup files are saved with a date. Copy the file with the latest creation date (it will have a different name from the automatic backups created) onto your PC in an easy to find location (such as your desktop).
- Install WhatsApp on your new device but do not start the app!
- Connect your new device to the PC via USB. Because you’ve already downloaded WhatsApp onto your new handset, the folder WhatsApp / Databases should now exist. If not, you can manually create a new Databases folder in the WhatsApp folder.
- Copy your WhatsApp conversation backup file into this folder.
- Now start WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. You should now get a notification that a message backup was found. Just tap Restore, and you’re done. After a few seconds, all of your messages should have appeared on your new device.
Recommendation： Manage iPhone/iPad/iPod without using iTunes
- Support to transfer, edit, backup, manage, view iOS & Android mobile data: Music, videos, photos, apps, ebooks, contacts, messages and more.
- Download videos from 100+ video sharing sites up to 4K HD video quality and transfer to iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android.
- Massive free resources: videos, wallpapers, ringtones
- Handy toolkit: Audio converter, video converter, ringtone maker, etc.