If you get a new phone and simply sign in to your WhatsApp account on it, your old messages don’t automatically transfer across. This tutorial explains how to transfer WhatsApp chats to a new device, so you can pick up your exactly where you left off.
1. Google Drive backup and restore
Newer versions of WhatsApp include automatic Google Drive backups, which makes the process of transferring your WhatsApp chat history between phones even easier than before.
- You simply tap the trio of dots at the top left of the screen and go to Settings > Chats > Chat backup.
- From here, you can back up manually, or set it to automatically backup as regularly as you like. When WhatsApp is reinstalled, it will prompt you to recover your chats and multimedia from Google Drive.
- Chats and contacts will appear in the app instantly, whilst media will begin downloading in the background.
- This is the method we use when we switch smartphones for reviews and testing etc.
2. Manually backing up chats and restoring them
If you’ve yet to receive the Google Drive WhatsApp update, or just like to do things the old-school way, it’s still reasonably easy to create a backup and move it to your new phone. Simply proceed as follows:
- Open the Settings menu of WhatsApp, tap on Chats and calls and then tap Chat backup.
- If your old Android phone and new one both primarily use an external SD card for memory, simply back up to the SD card and then switch it out of your old phone, and put it into your new one. Restore from the SD card to a newly installed WhatsApp on your new phone.
- For phones that save to internal memory, such as most newer devices, connect your smartphone to your PC via USB cable, and navigate to the internal memory of the device to the folder WhatsApp / Database. This is where all the backup files are saved with a date. They will look something like “msgstore-2013-05-29.db.crypt”. Copy the file with the latest creation date (it will have a different name from the automatic backups created, mine is “msgstore.db.crypt8”) onto your PC in an easy to find location (such as your desktop).
- Install WhatsApp on your new device but do not start the app!
- Connect your new device to the PC via USB. Because you’ve already downloaded WhatsApp onto your new handset, the folder WhatsApp / Databases should now exist. If not, you can manually create a new Databases folder in the WhatsApp folder.
- Copy your WhatsApp conversation backup file into this folder.
- Now start WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. You should now get a notification that a message backup was found. Just tap Restore, and you’re done. After a few seconds, all of your messages should have appeared on your new device.
3. Recommended Tips: 1-Click to Transfer Contacts/SMS/Music/Photos/Videos/Apps to Huawei P40
More important files are stored on your old device except WhatsApp, such as contacts, call logs, messages, music, photos, videos, apps, bookmarks, what should you do? Try a 1-click transfer tool and get help quickly. Syncios Data Transfer which supports to transfer data between iOS and Android devices directly within few simple steps. And Syncios will soon publish WhatsApp transfer between Android devices or between iOS and Android device. you can check our official website for a updated information or email to email@example.com for help. (It will support to sync whatsapp between iOS and Android devices soon)
- ✿ Transfer contacts, photos, SMS, music, videos and more between devices
- ✿ Restore iTunes backup and iCloud backup to mobile devices quickly
- ✿ Get music and videos from iTunes Library to phones simply
- ✿ Works perfectly with iOS and Android smartphones and tablets
Step 1: Download and install Syncios Data Transfer on your computer. Enable USB debugging mode on an Android device. And choose “Trust” on an iOS device. Connect both a source device and Huawei P40 to computer via USB cables. After phone recognized, check their positions. On the transfer mode interface of Syncios Data Transfer, the old device (source device) is located on the left while the Huawei P40 (target device) is located on the right. Switch their positions using the flip button on the middle if you need. Click on Next to continue.
Step 2: Select contents you want to transfer, then click on Next to load the selected contents from the connected source device. Wait for data loading and then click on Next to launch the transfer process.