Staring at your phone’s bright blue screen at night can make it more difficult to fall asleep, and the harsh light can also cause eye strain. Until Dark Theme in Android Q becomes available on your phone, there are several ways to turn down screen brightness other than the usual brightness level slider to make your screen even darker.
1. Enable Night Mode on your Android device.
Night Light dims your screen light to a sepia color, making it less harsh on your eyes. You can access it through the settings menu or the quick settings area you can find by swiping down from the top of your phone. Keep in mind that different Android phones may use different names for the same tool. For most of the Android device, there is a quick access to night mode: Pull down the notification tray at the top of the screen to reveal the quick settings menu. Tap the Night Light icon to turn it on.
2. Android wind down mode
Phones running Android Pie all have wind down mode, which you can turn on before bed to make your phone turn greyscale. Colors are muted this way, giving the overall impression of making the screen less bright.
- Open your Settings app and go into your Digital Wellbeing dashboard.
- Tap Wind Down.
- Select Use Wind Down.
- Choose the time you want the feature to be enabled. For example, from 9:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Tap Night Light Schedule to change your screen light color to sepia.
3. Invert the colors
Most Androids have the option to invert the colors on the screen — white changes to black and the other colors change to be less harsh on the eyes. This does, however, affect the way the photos and videos look.
If you have a Google Pixel, you can just pull down your screen menu and tap Invert Colors. On your Samsung Galaxy, go to your Accessibility Settings, tap Vision, then scroll down and turn on Negative colors.
4. Turn on battery save mode
When you turn on battery save mode on your Android, the screen will get darker. You can turn this setting on through your settings menu or through the quick settings toggle. This won’t work if your phone is plugged into a charger.
5. Download an app to lower screen brightness
There are many apps out there designed to turn your Android’s screen brightness down even further. A couple of options are the Lower Brightness Screen Filter app and the Screen Filter app. Both of these have the option of lowering your screen brightness from zero to 100%. You’ll have to go into the app each time in order to adjust your screen’s brightness.
Recommendation： Manage iPhone/iPad/iPod without using iTunes
- Support to transfer, edit, backup, manage, view iOS & Android mobile data: Music, videos, photos, apps, ebooks, contacts, messages and more.
- Download 4K HD videos from 100+ video sharing sites.
- Handy toolkit: Audio converter, video converter, ringtone maker, etc.