While Instagram is mainly a platform to post photos and videos with your followers, and to check out what’s going on in your friends’ and favorite celebrities’ lives, the social media platform also offers a feature known as Instagram Direct, which serves as Instagram’s own private messaging system.
Whether you want to reply to a friend’s Instagram Story or just want to have a quick conversation with someone you follow or who follows you, Instagram Direct lets you do it.
That being said, if you use Instagram Direct a lot, chances are your inbox might get a little full. If a conversation is finished and you no longer want it in your inbox, it’s possible to delete Instagram messages in a few simple steps.
Here’s how to do it on your iPhone or Android.
How to delete private Instagram messages by deleting a conversation
1. Locate the Instagram icon on your iPhone or Android’s home screen and tap to open the app.
2. In the upper right-hand corner of your screen, tap the Instagram Direct icon, which appears as a small paper plane.
3. Locate the conversation you wish to delete. On your iPhone, swipe left to reveal the Mute and Delete options. On your Android, you can reveal these options by tapping and holding on the conversation.
4. Tap Delete on the conversation. A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm your wish to delete the conversation. Tap Delete again to remove the conversation completely.
It should be noted that deleting a conversation only removes it from your inbox. The person you had the conversation with can still see it in their own inbox unless they also delete it.
You can also unsend a message on Instagram Direct rather than deleting the entire conversation. Here’s how to do it.
How to delete private Instagram messages by unsending them
1. After tapping the Instagram icon on your phone’s home screen, open your Instagram Direct inbox by tapping the small paper plane icon in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
2. Locate the conversation in which the message you wish to unsend appears and tap to open it.
3. Tap and hold the message you wish to unsend. The option to Copy or Unsend will appear above.
4. Tap Unsend and the message will disappear from the conversation.
Note that if the recipient of your message has Instagram notifications turned on, they will receive a notification when you unsend a message. Otherwise, the person you’re messaging may still have seen your message before you unsend it, but it will no longer appear within the conversation for either side.
Tricks&Tips: A Very Efficient Way to Erase Instagram Fragment
You’ can use some ios eraser tools like PanFone iOS Eraser to delete all Instagram data or just fragments.
Step 1. Open PanFone iOS Eraser to reach mode Erase Private Fragment where can make sure that your private data stays private and away from privacy leak.
Step 2. As long as your iOS devices successfully connected to the program, you can directly click on the blue button Erase.
Step 3. Choose Instagram and click on Erase to permanently delete them.
Recommendation： Manage iPhone/iPad/iPod without using iTunes
- Support to transfer, edit, backup, manage, view iOS & Android mobile data: Music, videos, photos, apps, ebooks, contacts, messages and more.
- Download videos from 100+ video sharing sites up to 4K HD video quality and transfer to iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android.
- Handy toolkit: Audio converter, video converter, ringtone maker, etc.