Forgetting your iTunes password can pose a number of problems, especially not being able to log into your iTunes account and download/purchase songs, apps, video, and other content from the iTunes Store. If you’ve tried all the passwords you think might be correct and you still can’t login, you need to reset your iTunes password. Here’s how.
- Begin by launching the iTunes program and clicking on the iTunes Store menu item in the left-hand tray of the iTunes window.
- Click “Sign In” in the top right corner of iTunes.
- In the window that pops up, click the “Forgot Password?” button. This will take you to an Apple website where you can reset your iTunes password.
- On this site, enter your Apple ID/iTunes account username. This is usually (though not always) the email address associated with your account. If you’ve forgotten your Apple ID/username, too, click the link beneath the box.
- When you’ve entered your username, click on the “Next” button.
- You now have two ways to reset your password: via email or security questions.
- If you choose email, this will send a password-reset email to the email account associated with your iTunes account. In that case, check that email account and click on the “Reset your Apple ID” link in the email.
- On the site that you go to, enter the new password that you want to use. Click the “Reset Password” button and your password will be updated.
- Your second option is to answer your account security questions to reset your iTunes password. When you choose that option, the website will ask you to provide a number of pieces of information, including a security question, from your account. When you answer those questions, you’ll be brought to the screen where you can enter and confirm a new password.
- Once you’ve used one of those two options to reset your password, try logging in to the iTunes Store with the new password to make sure it works. If it doesn’t, go through this process again and make sure you keep track of your new password.
If your iTunes account is connected to your AOL account, this process doesn’t apply to you. In that situation, you need to contact AOL member services.